News & Articles
Frozen vegetable product recalls
Consumer alert: frozen vegetable product recalls
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) today warned vulnerable people to check their freezers for recalled frozen vegetable products that are possibly contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Acting FSANZ CEO Peter May said pregnant women, people whose immune systems are compromised (e.g. cancer patients) and elderly people, are at a much greater risk from Listeria infection.
“The products affected contain a particularly dangerous strain of Listeria and are being recalled as a precautionary measure to ensure consumers are protected, but particularly vulnerable populations,” Mr May said.
“While many people will follow cooking instructions properly (which should kill Listeria bacteria) we are aware that some people eat frozen vegetables straight from the freezer and there is a risk of some people not cooking produce properly.
Consumers who have the product in their freezer should return it to the place of purchase for a full refund or dispose of it. Consumers who have eaten the product and feel unwell should see a health professional.
- Woolworths - Essentials snap frozen mixed veg 1kg: Carrots, peas, corn, green beans & potatoes – National distribution Best Before 19 MAR 2020 through to 24 APR 2020
- Woolworths - Bell Farms Steam Veggie Carrot Corn and Broccoli 3pk 450g – National distribution, all stock
- IGA - Black & Gold Corn Kernels 500g – National distribution Best Before all dates
- IGA - Black & Gold Mixed Vegetables 1kg: Carrots, peas, beans & corn – National distribution Best Before all dates
- ALDI - Market Fare Peas, Carrots and Super Sweet Corn 1kg – National distribution
- ALDI - Market Fare Corn Kernels 1kg QLD, VIC, WA and select NSW stores Product of Hungary (only)
- ALDI - Market Fare Mixed Vegetables 1kg QLD, NSW, ACT, WA Packed in Belgium from Imported and Belgian Ingredients (only)
- ALDI - Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Broccoli and Cauliflower 450g – National distribution
- ALDI - Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Corn and Broccoli 450g – National distribution
ALDI: Only products with country of origin of Belgium, United Kingdom or Hungary, all other countries not affected.
Greenyard Frozen Belgium NV is conducting a recall of the above products. The products have been available for sale at Woolworths, ALDI and IGA, Campbells and Independent grocery stores.
Problem: The recall is due to possible microbial (Listeria monocytogenes) contamination.
Food safety hazard: Listeria may cause illness in pregnant women and their unborn babies, the elderly and people with low immune systems.
Country of origin: Belgium/Hungary
What to do: Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice and should return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund. For further information please contact:
Woolworths 1800 103 515 , ALDI 1800 709 993, Metcash 1300 135 690
Media contact: 0401 714 265 or email@example.com
This information is reproduced with permission of Food Standards Australia New Zealand.